View Single Post
Old 24-02-2018, 09:15 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Skywatcher 80 ED APO projection photography

Hi all

Six months ago purchased both an SW 80 ED APO and an SW EQ6R mount. My plan is to learn the basics with the refractor and possibly progress to bigger reflector apertures once I'm comfortable with that. Though I'm really loving my kit how it is.
To compliment that, I have an ZWO 60280 guide scope with an ZWO ASI120MC-S camera for guiding and a Canon DSLR for imaging.
Two weekends ago (its taken that long) I managed to get all that kit working together and imaged my first guided DSO - The Flame and Horsehead Nebulas. To be honest I was nervous as hell as BackYard EOS clicked away for nearly twenty minutes as the EQ6 was buzzing away on the auto guider. Even more nervous as I downloaded to my stacking/photo editing program. A massive sigh of relief as the image appeared with sharp stars and the Flame nebular clear as a bell. Not only that, but a massive self confirmation that that stuff actually does exist in the night sky above us - BOOM - i'm hooked!!

Soooooooo...

Jupiter is now at a reasonable time and last weekend had a crack at that. I got an over exposed image of a bright disc of light with its moons and also managed a less-exposed disc with faint but discernible cloud bands and no moons. So now I'm thinking Projection imaging... I purchased an Eyepiece Project Camera Adapter earlier and tried to set that up but I am unable to focus past the garden hedge. I am guessing I can't get the sensor/eyepiece to the focal point???????

Ive tried Pretty much every combination of the kit the scope came with plus the adapter.

My questions are...

Am I doing it wrong and need more kit?

What kit will I need?

Am I pushing the perverbial up hill and my scope is not up to it?

Thanks for your time

D