View Single Post
Old 29-12-2016, 02:11 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOwls View Post
Hi Patrick
I live in Cornubia and it is not too bad as far as light pollution goes! I am (secretly) eyeing off a 16" Dob and may move on my 10" but we'll see how that goes! THanks for getting back to me and I appreciate the advice! I will look into the OIII/NB filter (do you recommend any?). One day, we should catch up as we live not far from each other! I am not far from the Logan Hyperdumb......Hey quick question, would a 10" dob with quality eyepieces be better than a 16" telescope...if I have the chance to get one cheap enough is the size (it will stay put in my backyard) worth it??
Regards
Andrew H
Hi Andrew,
I'm just the other side of the freeway at Tanah Merah, less than 1km from the 'dome. I bought a DGM Optics NPB filter after reading a lot of reviews, and haven't been disappointed - they're a very good filter. I also have some OIII filters which are pretty good, but the DGM NPB tends to give a less "green" overall effect. I had it out last night looking at Orion and the filter made a world of difference. I can't comment on the eyepieces vs larger scope issue - I've currently got an 8" dob, and my 16" dob is arriving (hopefully) in the next few weeks, which will certainly make things a lot brighter/bigger, but I haven't tried enough eyepieces to make an informed decision regarding the benefits of more expensive EP's over larger aperture. A 16" dob at <F5 is probably going to warrant some better eyepieces + coma corrector to get the most out of it. You sound like you've got a pretty reasonable start with the Nagler though! I normally use a Baader 8-24mm zoom, which saves me having to swap eyepieces all the time, and although it's not in the televue class, it's a lot better than the standard plossls you get with a scope. As either Malcolm or Allan said, once you've seen Jupiter and Saturn at high mag, there probably aren't a lot of other objects that justify an expensive high mag eyepiece unless you've got super seeing conditions all the time. Yeah, we should catch up once one of us has a 16"!