View Single Post
Old 29-12-2016, 11:27 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the hobby!

I have a 13mm NaglerT6 as well, and it is probably my most-used eyepiece. It barlows very well (I also have the TV 2x barlow) and gives very good contrast in high-power views: so a good barlow may be an easy way of giving you your desired views of the planets. A good thing about a barlow is that it increases the eye-relief a bit, which makes it easier if you wear glasses.

The high-power plossls and orthos can give fantastic, sharp and contrasty views but they have very small eye-relief and this can make it very difficult for eye-glass wearers. They also have rather narrow fields of view- and although this isn't an issue for small objects like planets, it does mean you have to move the scope more often to keep the object in the field of view.
If you want to go down the Ortho path for arguably the best planetary views, I would suggest the Fujiyama 5mm or 6mm: very well priced, but of course a narrow FOV and limited eye-relief. (See Astronomy and Electronics Centre for these.)

Another option for high power is the 6mm from the Long Perng "planetary" series. As far as I know these are identical to the Orion "edge-on" planetary eyepieces and the Williams ones, but they are about 1/2 the price (try Andrews Communications). They have a 20mm eye-relief and a better field of view than standard plossls or orthos. They have good contrast and are very sharp.

Finally, another high-power eyepiece that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the Takahashi LE series (see Astronomy and Electronics Centre). Very sharp and high contrast, but they are quite expensive- although they occasionally come up here in the second-hand section.

All the best,

Dean