View Single Post
Old 28-12-2016, 07:59 AM
FourOwls

Can I get some eyepiece advise please!

Merry Christmas to all and peace for 2017
I am just asking kindly if I can get some eyepiece advice for a newby (I am doing research and making the effort to learn too but advice can save you a lot of money and wasted time).
I have a Skywatcher Dob 10" that I got cheap second hand and as my first telescope I like it! However the cheapo Plossl eyepieces are not great and I need some advice on getting a good starting range. I have a Nagler 13mm (type 6) on its way for which I got second hand and happy about. I am wondering what else is a good essential eyepiece? I want some really high detail viewing too, so I was eyeing off something like a 5mm Nagler (type 6). I live in Logan city, moderate light pollution but not terrible. I am 41 and have good eyesight but want to really get some good detail (I am describing this badly and perhaps I mean make the use out of my 10" dob's potential magnification). For example would love to get great detail on Saturn, Jupiter, nebula or DSO objects (more than just pinprick stars and that is it!....the 13mm was recommended as a good alrounder, but any thoughts from you all out there? My scope doesn't travel, it stays in my backyard, and we live on a hill (so good sky views).
Peace to all
Andrew H