Thread: StarAid
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2021, 04:12 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks Dennis/Zuts, yes that makes perfect sense. The odd thing is I haven't had calibration issues since the days of trying to use the SBIG software for guiding back when I had an ST2000 about 14 years ago. CCDSoft or CCDPOps I think it was was incredibly fussy and couldn't cope with things not being orthogonal.

Today we are used to PHD which doesn't seem fussy at all. I previously used the ASIAir with its version of PHD for guiding with the EQ35 (a previous EQ35 pro) and it always just worked no matter whether the scope was pointing towards the celestial pole or not.

It may be that Staraid is a bit less tolerant. I'm sure I did try with the camera (and therefore guidescope too) pointing elsewhere and it still failed to calibrate.

More than that it also failed to platesolve. I took a screen snip of what the camera captured when it then gave me the message "can't recognise the stars"! There are plenty of stars - this was looking towards peacock - Almost any software would plate solve that as a jpeg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (autoguide.png)
183.7 KB58 views