Thread: StarAid
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2021, 11:56 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

So, last night was unsuccessful but I am not ready quite yet to blame the Staraid. I am coming to the view that it is in fact correct, there is no movement in DEC because the dec axis is quite simply not tracking on the EQ35 Pro mount!

This morning I had a thought that perhaps the orientation of the DEC axis mattered. Take a look at the two photos to see what I mean. AstroPete said though he didn't think which side the motor was on would impact tracking. Anyone? The mount is brand new.

This morning though I connected the mount in doors and did the initialisation in the synscan handset up to the point where it asked if I wanted to align and I said no then went to the Tracking in setup and selected Siderial. In theory then it is tracking. I left it running for an hour and the counterweight bar moved in that time but the dec puck didn't so I really do think it isn't tracking in Dec.

I took the plastic housing off and the gears look to be meshing and after all, it does slew and I see the gears working, but I left the plastic housing off and marked the position and nothing changed with time.

Once the mount is sorted, I'm optimistic the Staraid will perform. I have an open JIRA ticket with them but I have also told them the mount may not be tracking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Axis_1.jpg)
75.8 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (axis_2.jpg)
82.1 KB54 views