View Single Post
Old 19-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Fluffyllama95 (Della)

Guide scope/Camera setup

Hi

I have recently got myself a good little set up and I have an idea of what I need in regards to programs etc but I'm hoping someone can either explain or provide videos of all the steps involved in capturing something like Orion.

I have downloaded NINA and Sharpcap, i haven't decided which one is best to use yet. I have downloaded ASTAP for NINA. I also have PHD2 for guiding as well as EQMOD for my mount. I have downloaded all the hardware for cameras etc.
Anyway to make it easier I will list my questions and setup below.

Setup
- HEQ5 pro
-ZWO ASI385MC camera
-Redcat51
- ZWO 120mm mini guide camera
- ZWO mini guide scope 30f4

1. Do I locate my object first using the telescope camera THEN use my guide scope to follow a nearby star? OR do you use the guide scope first?
2. NINA or Sharpcap for capturing images?
3. Recommended exposure time/ISO etc for capturing Orion?
4. What are BIOS and flats? I know what darks are, how many are required per photo?
5. Can you see Orion Nebula through the camera? or does the colour only develop through multiple captures and edits? If that's the case, how to do you determine whether your target is in screen and focused?

any tutorial that takes you through every in and out would be great! I cant seem to find any online that show you every little step.
I plan to polar align my telescope with the 3 star method via the mount before connecting.