View Single Post
Old 20-03-2021, 10:43 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Once finished you will forget all the niggles and get on with catching all that sky you have missing.

Impressive list of things to watch out for. Sounds like most kits but very cost effective and tidy way to create an observatory I would think.

Perhaps when they crack the steel moulds and the material is still hot there is a little twisting. Does not take much. The disadvantage of having a top ring that is not one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ray,
Thanks, yes the interior does look like the crew compartment of the Space X Dragon capsule ( less high tech touch screen )
So far I’m fairly happy with my NexDome ( build only so far ) but they need to improve on QC when sending product outside Canada and the US
1/ Hardware bags were labelled correctly but were short on some items and too may on other items ( Bunnings to the rescue )
2/ The installation manual is poorly documented and out of date ( they need to improve on quality and detail of drawings ) A lot of guess work in a few steps of construction. Plus NexDome has had some design changes , again not documented
3/ Power supply for Dome rotation controller had a US plug cord ( lucky I had a spare AS one in the garage )
4/ The Dome rotation groove formed by the joining the roof panels need to be redesigned or improved to reduce the gap and irregular step ( 5mm to 6mm ) from one panel to the next ( I had to fill this gap with 2 applications of silicon to ensure the guide wheels run across this join as smooth as possible and not get stuck ( maybe their injection moulding machine needs calibrating?? )
5/ The build itself went ok with most precast holes between overlapping panels lining up , I think only 4 or 5 I had trouble with ( holes in the ABS panes were not cleaned out and still had swarf curling out )
6/ The local supplier in Melbourne, Sidereal Trading ( Diego ) have been great in keeping me updated throughout the whole 8 months supply and delivery process , and also during construction , Diego was only a call away for advice and tips during the build
So just a few QC issues and design issues to be addressed, but so far fairly happy
Once I’m up and running I suppose all those little issues will be forgotten
Yes IPhones can be a pain sometimes
Next ( final ) update and photos will be when everything is finished and operational
Cheers
Martin