Thread: M83 rgb
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 08:46 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Your image has good detail, dust lanes are there. Also the visual double star on the edge of the galaxy are separated, most M83 images don't show this level of detail.

I see you used 300 sec subs, have you thought about using shorter subs?

I watched presentation on youtube by Dr Robin Glover the author of SharpCaps. Talks about optimum sub times for different Bortle zones. Recommends very short sub times in Bortle 9 to get lots of subs to make it easier for stacking to improve the signal to noise ratio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RH93UvP358

Chris
Thanks for that link Chris. That was a great video.

It did sound counter intuitive at first to do shorter subs but after viewing this I'm going to give it a go. I got a licence of Sharpcap when I did some planetary imaging with ASI462MC last year which is a CMOS but I'll see if I can use the program to profile my old QHY CCD cameras and get some kind of numbers to decide the optimal subs length for my sky conditions.

I only hope that the galaxy photon count is greater than the skyglow photon count but it should be right? otherwise I wouldn't see it at all. If shorter subs + stacking brings the noise down then I could access the next level of details. Very exciting.

The prospect to do shorter subs let's say 2 or 3min exposures has a lot of appeal as well at that FL.