Thread: QHY Woes
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 AM
Paullus (Paul)

Perhaps I should have mentioned this earlier, but when I first received the camera the TEC/cooling would not switch on at all. After quite a bit of troubleshooting I figured out a fault in the 9 pin connector at the camera end. It must be held at a particular angle for the cooling to work (i.e. cable strapped back relatively tightly onto the camera body).

Once I got the cooling working I thought I'd be on the home straight, but perhaps there are still other faults in the connector. I've got a new 9 pin mini DIN connector to replace it so sounds like I've got a fun soldering job coming up .

Without knowing the schematic/pin out of the connector I'm bit limited on how far I can test, but happy to swap connectors first, and then replace the cable and DC201 (if I can find one at a reasonable price). Then it becomes a trade off of how much more I invest that may not solve the problem vs putting money to a new unit. Edit: seems that both the cable and DC201 are available from Modern Astronomy for 95 GBP + postage.

Happy to keep testing/troubleshooting in the meantime, and thankful for the collective brains trust thus far.

Cheers
Paul