View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 08:49 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlud View Post
Hi Greg,

Do you use t-point? If so the model might have been corrupted -I had this happen once on my 10Micron with it thinking it was in the North, and it was fixed by deleting the model and redoing this.

Cheers,
Mat
Well that is a possibility as I did a 108 point T Point model the night before which worked really well.

I did process during the day and take some flats during the day. The mount was on for a long time. Power probably got interrupted once or twice. I remember Sky X crashing because of one careless click or sweep of the mouse.

Sky X is not as stable using CMOS cameras than it is with CCD cameras which never seemed to upset it.

Anyway I managed to solve it. I loaded up all the software, drivers, adapter drivers for serial to usb etc I needed to transfer my system. I did that, managed to get it mostly working (why are drivers for adapter so touchy?)

I then manually slewed the scope to the moon and then used star sync to align the model and it all worked.

I found out the Sky X only gives the mount RA/DEC orders and the AP driver and mount does the rest. It seemed to be stuck on thinking the mount and OTA were on the other side of the pier than they were. Playing with the different park positions changed that to the correct side.
Then the moon used as a star sync worked and the mount was back to decent go-tos and I was in business again. I managed to get a full night's imaging in last night under excellent conditions.

A bit painful was the loss of the night before which was totally clear all night, with good seeing and a moon that was not affecting the imaging.
Ouch - so rare in the last 9 months or longer!

I think its time I also upgraded my AP mount to the latest controller which has a USB output rather than a serial output requiring software adapters to make them work (and surprisingly hard to find and implement).

So I got 3 full sets of images in this trip and another hour an a half of luminance of a galaxy for which I have a lot of archived data I can add it to to make a very long exposure image.

Thanks to all who helped.

The motto in all of this is sometimes you just need perserverance and several computers in reserve!

Greg.