View Single Post
Old 27-02-2016, 11:48 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvarouha View Post
Chris,

The belt mod replaces the RA and Dec gears in the mount with a belt system. This greatly increases the tracking accuracy an turns the heq5 into a more than capable mount.

I have recently completed the mod on mine (took about an hour). Not only is it quieter when slewing but for the first time ever I could take 15min subs with no streaking.

I am also running an ed80 with a dslr. Great scope however a field flattener might still be needed to get a nice flat image. A newt will definitely come in cheaper as Raymo suggested
Okay, a field flattener is something I'm not familiar with - will look into it.

Interesting to hear so much more positive emphasis on Newts. I was talked out of them. That's the way I initially wanted to go; I figured it simply has to be easier using less / shorter exposures, right?? Yet too many people said refractor is a better place to start - I guess because they're lighter and have much shorter focal lengths, and it's easier to achieve focus without an autofocuser.

I dunno. I still like the idea of a cheap 6" f/4 or f/5 reflector to start. Regardless it's all months away - probably going to have to wait til the next financial year before I know whether I can have anything for toys...

Last edited by thegableguy; 27-02-2016 at 12:08 PM.