View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

- There was absolutely zero wind all night;
- I've got the counterweight set deliberately low so the pressure is always towards the ground;
- Though my crappy cheap T-ring has a little wiggle in it, I use the camera strap to "tie" the camera to my red dot finder so it can't move;
- The tripod itself is sitting on three 2.5kg weights which prevent it from sinking or moving in any direction (learnt that one the hard way);
- My polar alignment was pretty good from what I could tell;
- The movement is only in RA, but it's back and forth, not constantly in one direction, and it's not every exposure.

From what you're saying I think it's either PE or a need of re-greasing. Not owning a webcam or having any way of attaching one, I think I'm stuck with stripping it down as the first option and then will go from there. It's not a bad thing to do anyway, will be good to learn about how it works.

If it doesn't fix anything I'll have to decide between spending $1-200 on a webcam etc for PEC programming or $4-500 on a proper guiding system; likely I'll go the latter (if I can sneak it past my wife somehow).

Thanks everyone for your help!