Thread: QLD Astrofest
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2021, 03:40 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
The tone of this thread is pretty dissapointing. Astrofest is run by a group of volunteers. They put a lot of their own time into organising and running the event. In my experience as a committee member the event just broke even and relied on the proceeds of the raffle to do so. Perhaps the critics would like to volunteer to arrange the event or if that is too big a commitment then how about volunteer to clean the shared bathrooms during the event. Just saying it is time to put things in perspective.
Why is the tone disappointing? Everyone, including me, is most appreciative of the committee for giving up their time year after year to make the event happen but I don’t think anyone thinks the commitment comes with the caveat ‘if I can get around to it’. You’re either agreeing to do it or you’re not. Where was the email or post explaining everyone is too busy and if you want it to happen then step up and volunteer? What were the astronomy clubs doing to help the committee? Who was bothering to inform people that it was looking unlikely?

I am disappointed but my post isn’t. I’m sure lots of people have wondered why there has been no information put out, I was just the person who asked.

I have now spoken to Tony and, pretty much as we can already guess it is extremely unlikely to happen - perhaps even a definite cancellation and that is perfectly fine. There is a website there is a Facebook group and yet not a word to say unfortunately people are too busy to organise it this year and with Covid too we’re just not going to bother this year.

Anyway, all good. Now I know I’ll stop asking.