Thread: My new lathe
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2021, 09:06 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
This lathe has brushless permanent magnet motor, so it is supposed to have speed proportional only to applied voltage. But in practice, torque is significantly lower at very low speeds because of coil resistance (I can stop the chuck by hand) but I think it is not a big problem (unless perhaps cutting the thread on big diameter).
Hi Bojan,

I too am looking at a mini lathe possibly the same model as your lathe as it has a good collection of features/size, not least the ability to cut 0.75mm pitch threads for astro / camera adaptors so when I saw your comment wanted to ask: Were you using the 50-1250 RPM or 100-2500 RPM range when you noticed the low torque at low speed?

The reason I ask is that I was considering exactly the scenario you mentioned: cutting some larger threads. I suppose one could be gentle with the depth of cut and use brass or Aluminium rather than steel to try and accommodate any issues. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the issue as you've observed it directly and stopped it with your own hands, how hard I don't know.

Best
JA