View Single Post
Old 28-04-2020, 08:47 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I saw this late last night so only now getting chance to make comment:
I bought an AZ/EQ EQ6 mount, envisioning using it in az mode for solar visual etc. Only ever put it in az mode once. If a standard EQ6 is a less expensive option, even $100, save the money. It is a bit of an operation to switch it over and if he wants to do a bit of visual, a dob is always a better bet IMHO.
I would actually recommend a Polemaster, even for a beginner. Only needs ability to follow instructions and will save heaps of time much better used for other things. Best money I ever spent!!
Go a DSLR and keep powder dry on an astro camera. Wide FOV makes life easier at the start.
On the OAG, I am using the ZWO OAG and am not a huge fan. Mechganically it is only average and the focusing is a PITA, unless you get the helical focuser. If going the ED80 and an EQ6, plenty of capacity for a guide scope, especially if a second hand one can be picked up. I have used one of the little 30mm Orion guidescopes that mount in the finder bracket and they work fine if using a short FL main scope.

Malcolm