View Single Post
Old 20-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

I was able to find and replace the collimation screws and springs with longer ones. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find longer screws to replace the locking screws. However, the springs I bought are stiff enough to keep the primary in place after collimating (thanks for that suggestion, Peter! ). I was able to move it up about another 20mm.

That, unfortunately wasn't enough.

But like an old dog with a bone I wouldn't let it go. After doing some reading online and poking around with the focuser I discover that Meade took this into consideration when they built the thing. There's an extension tube on the focuser that's removable (doh!). This blasted thing is like 60mm long!! Apparently there's a low profile T-Adapter that comes with this telescope but because I bought it used I didn't get the T-Adapter and wasn't aware that one was made for it. I bought a universal 1.25" T-adapter that slides into the eyepiece and is nowhere near low profile.

Anyway, between losing the extension tube and moving the primary up I was just able to attain focus! I'm going to buy the Meade T-adapter and if it's profile is low enough, I'll put the original hardware back on the primary so I can continue to use the locking screws.

I posted 3 photos from my first prime focus night out on the town.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?p=317655

Thank you all so much. For this, and all the help this beginner has received since joining.