View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 11:19 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Hi Mike ,
What a great spot you have chosen I would say at that height you are above the snow line or close to it , I hope you have some warm long Johns because I think you will be needing them. How far are you from GooGong ,I haver a son who lives their and offend go and see him.

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Speaking of cold months ahead,

They say because you are inactive you dress for 10 degrees less than the actual temperature.

I was suggested freezer gear by a CAS member, one of the best bit of additional kit I have acquired.

You might be closer to deep freezer gear over freezer gear, but for warm light kit, you can move in, its very hard to beat.

The other one was to get some moon boots, having a few inches of space off the ground seems to help keep the feet a lot warmer.

Its a good thing its not about style though!
Hi Ian and Steve

At nearly 1500m we do get a reasonable amount of snow, it varies yearly of course but this last winter we had a few of days of decent snow .....and .......and

But luckily didn't have to use chains...our longer term neighbours report it can be quite heavy and deep making vehicular access very difficult or indeed impossible but only occasionally, maybe once or twice a season.

I do have a freezer suit but generally cold is not an issue for me really, during many clear nights over last winter at Eagleview, I seemed to be able to cope with fairly modest attire most of the time actually (probably the excitement of just being up there under a magical sparkling dark sky! ). On a few occasions last winter up there, with snow all around me and below zero temperatures, with low humidity, I was out in shorts I know. I usually just had a T-shirt + flannelette shirt + hooded spray jacket on, that's it and I could last 30-60min like that pretty easy this made it easy undressing to go inside periodically to warm up by the fire (-5C outside and 23C inside). With the new observatory I will have a separate control room shed next to the dome deck, with small heater, from where I will be able to control the imaging aaaand be close by for visual observing sessions with the 18" Dob as well. If not doing visual observing, I plan to control the observatory from inside the house via remote desktop or similar.. aaand if Diego from Sidereal Trading has his way who knows, down the track maybe even from the comfort of our place in Canberra

Ian, as the crow flies Googong is 37km to my north, or 54km (50min-1hr) by road.