View Single Post
Old 16-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Mark,
Oh right, for a second I thought the RS232 meant a connection to the computer. I read your post and had a good think today… Firstly, I was completely unaware about ATS but gave them a rang after hearing good things about Peters service. Turns out they also offer a very good deal on the SBIG 8300M, and I was unsure about how the warranty worked from Optcorp but with the price ATS was giving - Local is definitely the way to go. You’re also right about the 36mm, which is why I decided I was going to get the 2” anyways. It’ll also help when I use my Full-frame DSLR.

Lastly, I gave Theo a ring today – Wow, the pricing for the QHY9 package is about the same as the SBIG Camera alone. After talking to Theo and the 1+2 year warranty, I think I’ve finally landed on a decision to buy the QHY9. To get the SBIG + filters, it’ll cost me atleast about $1k more. And for someone like me, still an amateur compared to some of the guys here, that’s a lot of saving. In fact that’s alot of beer AND Spirits now that you mention it Hopefully I’ll have mine this weekend. Thanks a lot for the posts

Robin,
I didnt know they included liquid cooling as the '2-stage' cooling they claim, thanks for that. I also realised today that your right, SBIG isnt heated but the QHY9 is which is quite handy. There’s no way I can afford the STF version! And yup I saw your ad but Theo is giving a good deal for a new system so might just get it new

David,
Yea I really like QSIs idea of having the filter wheel right against the sensor. I do believe it is good down to F/4, but once again the camera/wheel is over $3k and I feel im still too much an amateur to be able to justify that. But do post some images, Id love to see them. Waiting for the damn clouds to disappear down here myself too argh!