View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:41 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

I will add a comment for the QHY9 having owned mine for 3 + years. It's a good little camera with excellent cooling (-50 from ambiant) but does have some idiosyncrasies like the power board being seperate from the camera and the unique shutter mechanism which is slow but should last for a 100 years. The shutter does catch some out when first learning to take flats with the camera but is a doodle once you know what to do. It can be binned 1 x 1, 2 x 2 and 4 x 4 and at 1 x 1 the download speed is about 8 seconds on the normal setting which most of us use. There is a option for fast and slow downloads but the fast leaves lots of undesirable artifacts on the sub and the super slow is about the same as the normal setting which gives very clean subs. The software that comes with it works but is very basic but then so is CCDsoft that comes with the SBIG's. I bought the QHY9 over the original ST8300 as the SBIG had very poor cooling in it's original form but I believe they have made changes to correct that with the latest model and its now right up there with the rest. With the QHY9 you get camera, filterwheel and filters for less then the cost of the SBIG camera alone and with the extra money you save you can buy MaximDL as a capture program (the best there is) and still have change in your pocket. The camera is backed by a long warranty and the local distributor Theo is great.

Mark