View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Questions for all you 8300 owners

Hey guys,

So last few months I've really gotten into Astrophotography, and wish to progress from my (unmodified) DSLR to a decent CCD + EFW. I've narrowed it down to a 8300 Chip, and it's now between the Atik 383L+ & SBIG ST-8300M I intend to use it with my 8" f/5 Newt & 80ED. I had a few general questions about the 8300 Chip so hope I don't ask too many questions Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1. I really dont want to ask this but - Atik, or SBIG? I've heard about the quality and build on the SBIG, and obviously Atik is popular for a reason, but my main concern is through-life support. I suspect they both have excellent customer support? Im willing to be swayed either way

2. Will 1.25" filters cause vignetting? I've heard mixed results. I understand to mount the EFW as close to the chip, and in the case of the Atik CCD+EFW2 there is very little vignetting. But the Atik EFW2 costs about $200 more than the SX wheel so if anyone has a 8300/SX combo i'd like hear your experience I dont want to spend the extra on 2" if its avoidable, and I dont like the idea of 36mm unmounted as having 1.25" threads appeal to me.

3. In terms of budget, I can only stretch it for a decent LRGB or HOS filter set, not both (For the time being ). I plan on doing mainly DSOs like galaxies & nebulas. I suspect starting of with LRGB gives me a little more flexibility in terms of imaging different things? (Not many pictures of galaxies with HOS now is there )

4. I'm not entirely sure how this mounting business works with the filter wheels. Is it possible to attach the EFW directly to the t-thread on my focuser? with no need for my 1.25" adapter? My 8" newt has some issues with backfocus, I have very little travel to play with (Focal plane is just above the focuser).

Lastly, thank you so much for taking the time to read this In return I will leave you with some pretty pictures from my (very) amateur setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Milkyway Carina 2.jpg)
197.2 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (Eta Carina 80ED - Edited.jpg)
206.7 KB88 views