View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Haha. Couldn't believe this thread title when I saw it, Baz. As H mentions, I've just gone through this exercise myself recently. And thanks heaps to him for helping me out with tips and advice.

There's cheaper filters and holders like Cokin. They're the one's H mentions, many threads around about them having a purple colour cast and not being truly "neutral". I have read about guys buying the Cokin filter holders, though, and using better filters in them. That may be an economical decision for you.

But for not much more than the Cokin holder, you can get Lee holder. I decided to get this because I am going with Lee filters. Not top of the line like Singh Ray, but solid reputation and balance of quality and economy. Another good brand (so I hear) is Hitech. I know there's more but they're the main ones I came across.

As a starting point, I got a 2 stop soft grad filter and a 3 stop hard. After using them for a bit I'll decide if I need a 2 stop hard and/or a 3 stop soft as well.

Typically you need a filter holder, then an adapter to connect the holder to your lens, then the filters themselves. And don't forget something to carry them in.

Not a cheap exercise.

I already have a CPL and screw in ND filters, so didn't need to get those, but you can add those to your shopping list too. ND filters I have are B+W brand 3 stop and 6 stop, CPL is Hoya Super Pro1. Don't skimp on them, it's money well spent.

Oh, where from? Not sure of Aussie-based places. I've been shopping at Adorama, B&H Photo Video, and 2filters. Having some trouble sourcing them. Seems some of the bits I want are out of stock and I'm trying to get them all one place to save shipping.

Last edited by troypiggo; 05-07-2010 at 08:25 PM.