View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
gregbradley

I was thinking of doing something like this at some point. I did read some posts where one guy was offering it as a service and I think it was Nikon D90's he was doing.

As you point out some may be harder than others.

I have modified a few 20Ds. The UV/IR cut filter is glued in at its edged with black silicone. I did not take it any further but I take it you are referring to the glass cover slip over the sensor?

Good work.

As far as which sensor I would think a Sony Nex 6 or a Nikon D7100 or Fuji XE1.

The current lowest noise APS camera is a Fuji XE1 (about $715 on ebay body only, Nex 6 is similar). Sony Nex 6 is not too bad either. Nikon D7100 is 24mp, no AA filter and is also low noise. Sony Nex 5r is cheaper and same sensor. I think the Nex 3N may also be the same 16.3mp Sony Exmor sensor (not 100% sure) so that may be the cheapest.

Canon EOS APSc not sure Canon advanced past the 350D/20D/40D/1100D models. The others seem a noisy. 6D 1Dx and 5D3 are clean at high ISO. 5D2 is in between. A 5D2 may be fairly cheap now or a 5D with its largish pixels.

I would not worry about DSLR pixel size - they are all smallish compared to CCDs.

Greg.