View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM
gregbradley

Greg, in terms of QE, I know the dslr's are only between 25 to 30%. would you know of any mid-range dslr's that have relatively high QE?
I don't think I'll try the Fuji or the Sony just yet.

yes, Guy, author of BEOS has also done mono conversions for Nikons. I prefer Canon's just for the software support although if I can debayer a D40, I might take on a QHY8!!
two second hand QHY8's (in case I break one), are still cheaper than a comparable mono.

Cheers
Alistair[/QUOTE]

I did have a link at one stage to a listing of various DSLRs and their QE and read noise.

Nikon D5200 was highest with a Toshiba APSc sensor and around 60% QE. Nikon D800E was next at 59%.

Pentax K5 might be one to look at. Its the same Sony 16.3mp Exmor APSc sensor in the Fuji XE1 and Nex series. Its also in the Nikon D7000 which may be cheaper now there is a D7100.

Of the Canons a 5D may be good. It has over 30% QE as I recall and largish pixels (still small by CCD stds). They are also sometimes quite cheap.

A 5D2 is around 26% or so and 5D3 was 39%. I will see if I can find that listing and post the link.

I like your work. I think this could be a productive use of a DSLR and turn them into a nice imaging machine potentially.

59% QE with a Bayer CFA and UV/IR block in D800E. Wow, imagine a naked mono sensor what QE it must run at - it must be up over 80%.

Greg.