View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 04:12 PM
andyc (Andy)

Eta Carina & Keyhole with C14

Hi all, here's my first deep sky image in a long time, since planetary imaging took over my astro life. It is first light after setting up the C14 properly for deep-sky imaging - hadn't got guiding going at all before Sunday. I tweaked the worm gears and removed some backlash, co-opted my old planetary camera (ASI185MC) to be a guider, positioned the OAG correctly, and got camera, filterwheel and focuser all talking to NINA, and PhD2 talking to mount and guider. All helped loads by the acquisition of one of Peter's (Exfso) lightboxes. It has worked a treat!

This is 36mins Ha, with colour from 7mins each of R,G & B (and I mucked up focus on the blue too, recovered a bit in postprocessing). The final image is pretty sharp across, and I'm especially happy with the detail in the even a newborn star jet near the upper left, and a couple of evaporating gas globules (EGGs) above middle (and in the full res crop). Bias and flats corrected - it's turned out not too bad for a "test" shot

Scope is the C14 with the f/7 reducer/corrector on CGX-L, Atik 460EX CCD, ZWO RGB filters, Astronomik 12nm Ha filter.

Full resolution is much better here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nhk6Z8D3FcysuX836
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etaCarHaRGB_ac2iis.jpg)
192.7 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (etaCarHaRGB_ac2_cropiis.jpg)
138.2 KB55 views