View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 05:26 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Hi Bill. I have no experience with the C6 but will offer a point of view regarding an 8” SCT. I have a couple of scopes for imaging: 80mm and 120mm refracs, and an EdgeHD 8” SCT which accepts HyperStar too. I’ve been using the SCT for imaging since Dec 22 and love it - it has great optics and its long focal length is terrific for ‘up close and personal’ imagery of galaxies and DSOs, but I’ve not yet used it for planetary imaging. I use an AZ-EQ6 mount and its performance has been more than adequate with the SCT. I did however learn imaging and guiding basics (with Ekos/KStars) using my refractors (shorter focal length = more forgiving) before tackling an SCT imaging system as there’s a bit of a learning curve with the long focal length, ‘slow’ imaging system and AOG. I also suggest some research as there is a cost to convert any SCT into an imaging system, eg. I use the EdgeHD specific 0.7 reducer (which actually degrades the EdgeHD’s optics), a Celestron AOG, ZWO ASIAIR, EFW and EAF, and various filters with OSC and mono cameras, a Pegasus powerbox micro and some mounting hardware for the accessories. But once setup, very little tweaking is necessary except for occasionally checking/tweaking the SCT’s collimation. Alex