Thread: Best telescope
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 10:45 PM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
Welcome. The 8” will gather 2.56x the light if the 5”, (not accounting for secondary size difference). Whilst brighter it is not a WOW! difference but is noticeable. Resolution to will be better, (seeing dependant). Planets will be brighter at the same magnification. The brighter galaxies will be obvious but the fainter ones still wisps of light. Nebula will be brighter but again not WOW brighter but of course this can be read as subjective.

Maximum field of view will be narrower due to the longer focal length and this is where SCTs in general are suitable more for medium to high power views and not low power wide fields. You will not fit the Pleiades in the field no matter what eyepiece you use.

Do you prefer SCTs over other types of telescopes and if so what feature do you prefer the most? SCTs are compact but powerful instruments but are expensive for the aperture. $3k is a lot for an 8” telescope but you are of course paying for computer control mount too and portability. However for exactly the same price at Bintel you can get a Skywatcher 12” GOTO Dobsonian telescope which will certainly give you a WOW difference with computer control also.

Being able to track an object certainly helps with observing as you can concentrate more on the target without constantly having to nudge the telescope. If you don’t want computer control you can get a 12” Dob for half the money and spend the rest on quality eyepieces. Note you can mount a Dob on what’s called an EQuatorial Platform but these are more of a niche market now. You don’t need a computer to track, only RA (Right Ascension) axis motor. Computer only gives you GOTO which some people cannot live without and others cannot live with.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Top advice Astro !

When I was young I had an old 8" F/7 newt that was on a primitive home made pipe mount I'd made , I used a 6mm eyepiece housing with lenses removed to collimate .
Learnt from books where all the good stuff was & then star hopped .

Was a wonderful scope for many years .

Have Fun
Bobby