View Single Post
Old 30-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Rob_K

Hi Scott & Max. If it's any help to you, I've attached some crops of my shots of the 2010 eclipse with the exposure & camera settings details given. These are crops off the original subs, no processing, jpegs straight off the camera. The top line are all the same exposure times & settings. The lower ones are at increasing exposure times - the bottom-right one is included as a joke, showing what happens when you are photographing from aboard a ship and go too long! You may have to enlarge the image when it opens.

Two things to remember though:

(a) We can consider ourselves very, very lucky if we see anything of the total eclipse at all, given the location and timing;

(b) Even if we see totality, it may be that there will be interfering cloud. For those photographers relying on well-practised automated sequences or on eclipse exposure calculators, everything will be thrown out the window at that point! The last thing you want to be doing during those precious two minutes is fumbling with camera settings and missing the experience. So be prepared to bail out on the photography because the visual impact is awe-inspiring & humbling and you won't need a photo to remind you of it.

Anyway, along with the rest of the shadow-chasers I live in hope of the perfect window of sky! Good luck!

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eclipse exposures sm.jpg)
195.6 KB98 views