View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 03:23 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Using hot channel cutters to reform a collapsing lap

FYI

Recently I posted about trying a thin heated taper metal tip to reset the grooves in my lap which had formed poorly.

The results were very good, using the heated tapered tip based on John Upton use of a hot channel cutter. There are some waves formed, but very few and easily cleaned off with the Stanley knife. Certainly made chipping away inside a plastic bag both easier & faster and the channels are far better formed and cleaner. Material loss from the lap is maybe 1-2 percent compared to the Stanley.

I used a long tapered metal screwdriver I had hit with the grinder wheel and a blow torch(small kitchen variety) to heat for 5-7 secs. I tried using boiled water in a cup but the screwdriver was too thick and the heat was lost after about 4"'s of channelling.

Using a boiling water pot to reheat the tip would reduce the chances of volatiles being released from overheating the tip, slightly longer but safer I'd guess.

A good size round skewer with an insulated handle might be perfect.

Normal reset on the cold press required etc.

The heat loss using the water in a cup was due to not being able to heat the whole length of metal. I would guess if you can immerse the required length of metal in near boiling water and re-press the lines in one go it would work very well.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 11-02-2022 at 03:53 PM.