View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 09:17 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool What is your favorite method for finding your targets?

How many ways are there to locate targets? What is your favorite?

As a newbie, one of my greatest concerns was whether I would be able to find things. I had some success with star hopping with binoculars but when I got my first telescope I selected a GoTo mount. I am very happy with my decision. But I have since learned other techniques.

So I was wondering as to how many ways there are to find targets and interested in what people like best.

Here is what I know of so far:

GoTo – fully computerized including finding and tracking.

PushTo – Computerized help in finding targets but no tracking

Star Hopping – Start at a bright star then go there and go there and you should be on it. (like turn by turn directions in your car) Usually worked out on a paper chart or with a computer program to work out the steps of the hop. If you can see the guide stars and confirming patterns this should work well.

Setting circles on an equatorial mount – Uses Right Ascension and Declination coordinate system that is unique to astronomy – can read coordinates from a paper chart then use the setting circle dials on the telescope to point the scope.

Altitude and Azimuth – Height above zero angle and a degree angle from North. I think this is best worked with a real time program on computer or phone to provide the coordinates as these change constantly.

Those are the ones I know of. Are there others?

I have used:

GoTo – Meade ETX 80 and ETX 125 – Love it!

PushTo – Orion Intelliscope- Love it!

Star Hopping – Most success with binoculars and bright targets. Less so with my telescopes in most of my very light polluted sky as I can't see many of the stars I would like to see in order to do the hop or to see the pattern that would confirm I am in the right place.

AltAz coordinates – Tried this recently using a digital angle gauge for the altitude. Used Star hopping to approximate azimuth position. Have not tried using a compass or an azimuth degree gauge on the scope.

Never tried setting circle dials on an EQ mount.

Are there others?

Which do you use?

Which do you like?