View Single Post
Old 24-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I totally agree with Peter.M, and that's what I mentioned in my post - it depends on your situation/set-up.

SGP's autofocus routine has been working for me very reliably and it consistently (always) gives me a good focus. I think my recent photos are a good testimony of that. Whether focus in my case could be a tad better leading to sharper images, I do not know that, but given decent yet limited tracking accuracy of AZEQ6, I doubt it.

Also, unless you are constantly checking temperature changes, I bet correctly set autofocus would yield superior results to one or two manual focus adjustments throughout long imaging session. On clear nights temperature can shift quite significantly, usually with my gear I get 5-7 automated focus adjustements per night. It would be impractical for me (too lazy) to manually interrupt imaging session so many times, slew to a bright star, refocus, slew back to the target, plate solve...waste of imaging time, in my opinion.

Maybe one night I should do a test and compare the stars with autofocus and manual focusing with a mask, and that way I would know for sure