View Single Post
Old 23-01-2021, 12:44 PM
gregbradley

That sounds unlikely. There is a plethora of cheaper refractors with air spaced FPL53 triplets on the market.

A lot of them seem to be getting Japanese Ioptron (Canon) made lenses and perhaps the bodies are made in China. So perhaps its true OHara doesn't sell to China and yet it could still be FPL53 glass as they buy lenses from Canon.

Then there is the FCD100 glass which I think is Chinese. So if the lenses are made in China then its most likely FCD100? or FPL51 or some lesser grade glass from OHara?

The term SD glass implies a lesser ED glass rating like it does in camera lenses. The term ED glass gets bandied around as a marketing term so it tends to lose meaning and differentiation.

If it were a true FPL53 Petsval then it is good value as the FSQ130 with I think it was 3 FPL53 lenses was around AUD$22,000.

Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adox View Post
I got a very interesting answer from Ohara: they said that all Chinese manufacturer don't use their S-FPL53 glass.

I want to highlight the fact that the FPL53 does not exist, the real designation from Ohara is S-FPL53 (check on their website).
If a shop will says that their telescope uses the FPL53 glass, this is controversial but being just a code, it is hard to argue.

If you will read that the telescope use a FPL53 glass by Ohara, that is most likely false. Probably many shops write that in good faith and they logically think that the glass is from Ohara but it is not like this.

Companies that use the S-FPL53 glass from Ohara are:
Zeiss, Leica, Thales Angenieux, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus