View Single Post
Old 19-12-2008, 05:08 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Conversion of decimal to DMS and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
Here is a file combining a list, a "map" and a log for recording 95 bright deep sky objects for southern observers.
Actually I'm pleased you posted this excel sheet giving coordinates in decimal or DMS spread across more than one cell. The document posted is excellent but it always bugs me with coordinates in decimal format or converted to DMS format across many cells.

I am just putting the final touches to excel formula's and macros that do these coordinate conversions in one Excel cell.

That is convert RA (or DEC) Decimal to HMS (or DMS) by applying a cell formula or Macro. Or to reverse the process ...if needed by formula or macro.

I originally wrote Macros to do this and they work well, but, I decided to try to write cell formulas to accomplish the same. There was/is very little on the internet for this type of thing and many of what is there does not do the task correctly.

Anyway, trying to write excel formulas for this was a "Big" task, especially for a novice like me. Many months later I finally have them done...a definite labour!

The excel formulas are ready to go now. I'm just checking/tweaking the Macros as I haven't really touched these for a few months. They'll be done very soon.

I'll post a "How to use these" as an article very soon (Iceman permitting)...but if anyone wants to try them out...feel free..I'll send you the data!