View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Comparison of HA data shot with a mono sensor versus a bayer matix.

Some time back I commented that while I was pleased with how much NB filters extended the usefulness of an OSC camera, I was keen to make a comparison between NB data shot with the OSC versus the same target with my new mono version (ASI2600MC versus ASI2600MM, so quite a straight shootout)

I shot data on SH2-34 with the OSC camera as OSC, HA and Oiii data, and I was pretty happy with the result. Then my mono cam arrived, so I shot the target again with the mono cam and same NB filters, plus the RGB filters with the new cam.

Link to the semi finished RGB-HA-Oiii image with the new cam (I say semi finished, as my first mono cam image I will probably reprocess it again from scratch, Andy01 reckons a bit much cyan and I am inclined to agree with him) https://www.astrobin.com/full/oiilf5/0/

The real star of the show is a straight comparison between HA data shot with the OSC and debayered with the HA algo in Astro Pixel Processor, and HA data shot with the same filter over the new mono cam. I made an animated GIF of the results of two integrations, registered so they line up and cropped to match. Pretty obvious the difference between the two. Both sensors were cooled to -10, both are calibrated with a master bias and flats, both were at 1200 second exposures, but the OSC cam had an extra 5 exposures over the mono, and it is still grainy in comparo.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/dsafar/0/

My take on it is if you can afford to go mono, and have time and patience to shoot and process RGB-HA-Oiii-Sii/whatever else as separate filters (And skies dark enough to make the RGB sing) you won't regret the move. If I had some cash to burn I would sell my now "Second" cam (The 2600MC) and buy a second mono one so both scopes were set up the same way.

Last edited by The_bluester; 12-07-2021 at 10:10 PM.