Thread: Slipping Clutch
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2021, 11:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
It seems others experience similar when the clutch is not done up very tight, see....
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...s-club/page/2/

In any event I'd shy away from using the hammer not matter how "gently". Try and fashion a lever/spanner which grips he whole clutch knob to use. Even then go easy.

Here is a potential fix....
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...-pro-clutches/

PS maybe you have somehow too much wear, the screw doesn't seat down far enough or possibly even lost the little brass button which is shown in the pic below and explained in the thread I linked above.
Attachment 282286

Best
JA
Thanks for the link to Stargazer lounge it made me feel much better knowing I was not the only one experiencing a slipping clutch.

Did I say that I used a hammer? Sorry I meant to say that I used a Russian spanner...yes terrible but at that point
I had visions of the RASA crashing into the side of the mount during the night..I was all over the place..confused ..so unlike me
.But I moved the counter weights as far as possible on the extended shaft then got some rope and tied the monster down so it would not go any where even if possums got in and danced on the scope...over kill but thats what I do.

Did you add stuff to your post? Dont worry if it was there and I missed it well I now see it ..

I will check out the remedy but I am already thinking over kill..drill into the main shaft thread the hole and add a bolt so nothing moves at all.. maybe super glue in the interim.. certainly duper glue the bolt in place and safety wire thru the bolt head...heck why just use a clutch? Sure to move stuff around ....well I now know how to use the hand paddle and change the slew speeds I am past my move it manually...who needs a clutch? so the more I think about it, bolting in place makes sense..it is a very weak link in the chain.

Who knows if it slips during a session even when it feels very secure? Well you dont...a clutch really seems like a dumb idea...Anyways I will look at what others did ..but if they haven't bolted it down get ready to witness another first from me

Alex