View Single Post
Old 20-08-2021, 07:55 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The time-dial of the RA setting-circle assembly; glamour shot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RA setting-circle.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	279574

As with the first, purchased polar-scope, with the old reticle, once this free, replacement polar-scope, with the newer reticle, is installed, there is, and much to my chagrin, a 3mm wide gap, still, between the RA-time dial and the polar-scope's date-dial...

Name:	head.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	279575

Name:	3mm gap, still.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	279576

With the gap, the RA date-dial will slide out of its centring well, and towards the date-dial of the polar-scope, then to oscillate round, wonkily.

I can't make any bronze washers for it, to compensate for the gap, as they would be exposed. Then, multiple washers would simply "junk up" the assembly with too many parts.

No, all it needs is a little special something to fill in the gap. I have a sheet of this aluminum left over, 1mm in thickness, and from the renovation of the latitude/altitude axis. It would be a shame, and a waste, to set it aside...

Name:	0.040 aluminum2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	279577

...but I can only make two 1mm fillers out of that unused sheet. I need one more, for a thickness of 3mm, then all three J-B Weld -ed together into one. So, I re-ordered the same thickness, same amount of aluminum, but as one sheet. Strangely, it was a few cents cheaper that way, as one sheet instead of two. It was also half the cost of a 3mm-thick sheet. In addition, I don't mind the extra work.

That's where I'm at, at a standstill, at the date and time of this posting, and waiting for the USPS to deliver the goods.

Incidentally, this is a polar-scope holder that came with the mount-head...

Obverse, and with a broken screw...

Name:	secondary RA-dial.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	279569

Reverse, and with three plastic-washers...

Name:	secondary RA-dial2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	279570

Note the triad of cushioning pads.

It was once useful, and for a polar-scope that is no longer extant...

https://i.imgur.com/y3njHgv.jpg

...that one, or other.

I'd like to see what sort of reticle that one had.