View Single Post
Old 19-08-2021, 04:29 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

I re-attached the DEC-axis to the RA-axis afterwards, but then I had to separate them again, and because of this part...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEC saddle.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	279452

...the telescope's saddle, and atop the DEC-axis. It only requires two bolts to secure it.

It turns out that the part of the saddle that overhangs the worm-assembly was pressing down on same, and interfering with the adjustment of the worm. Also, I could not spin the worm as easily, like I could with that of the RA-axis. In the end, I had to elevate the saddle...

Name:	saddle fitting issue2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	279453

All surfaces to be joined were rough-sanded, then scored...

Name:	saddle fitting issue3i.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	279454

Name:	saddle fitting issue3d.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	279455

Name:	saddle fitting issue3e.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	279456

J-B Weld steel-reinforced epoxy; with said epoxy in particular, perhaps with all epoxies, it's important to clean and de-grease the surfaces to be joined with 100% acetone. Never isopropyl-alcohol, but I do use the latter, 91%, for other...

Name:	saddle fitting issue3ha.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	279457

Name:	saddle fitting issue3g.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	279458

Name:	saddle plate.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	279459

Much improved, however, once I battened down the saddle afterwards, the worm still became harder to twist, but not nearly as difficult as it was before. No matter, for I can easily twist the worm now, just not as easily as that of the RA-axis. I think that the threaded holes for the saddle's bolts were not tapped true and square at the factory. I'm thinking that once the bolts are tightened, which they must be, a bit of flexure or warping occurs in that area.

Had this issue cropped up with the RA-axis, I would've been heartbroken, livid rather, and on the phone with someone. The DEC worm will only be operated with a slow-motion cable anyway, never with a motor-drive. I have never had a need for, nor will ever need, a motor-drive for a DEC-axis.

I do know this: my old Vixen GP-DX, RIP, would not have had this problem.

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 19-08-2021 at 03:09 PM.