View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 PM
bratislav (Bratislav)

Peter,
in fact you will need TWO cams. For planets only, anything over ~800x600 is an overkill, as sampling at anything over 0.06 - 0.08 arcsec/pixel is a waste, even with largest of guns (1m and over). But you do need frame rate, as high as you can go. These days ZWO 290 monochrome seems to be the best pick among planetary imagers. It will allow over 400 fps on small bright targets like Mars, and 300+ on Jupiter/Saturn. You will be exposure limited (you need lots of light at 3ms subs!), not camera's frame rate limited. Same performance can be extracted from color only 224, which is also an excellent choice.

For Moon/Sun a larger chip is required, but those will not be as fast. This is where it gets trickier. I know that Damian Peach asked Chilescope guys to replace 174 camera because of some fixed pattern issues, so I'd be inclined not to recommend it; they still use it though.
I'd personally look into 183, but I have no direct experience with either 174 ot 183 so I'd let others to chime in. I've used cooled 1600 and it is a reasonably decent Moon/Sun camera, but not SOTA (too slow). How about get a 290/224 and keep using your PG as Lunar cam for a while longer?

Bratislav