View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 09:47 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
With the availability of advanced stacking/panorama programs such as Sequator, and the ability of many cameras to image at ISO settings up to 10000, you could possibly go to longer focal length lenses such as the 35mm f1.4 options from Samyang & Sigma.
It requires more work in processing and the stitching of far more panels to create your final image but you'll get much higher resolution images.
It seems to be the way many of the advanced nightscapers are going - just something to consider.
I wouldn't get the Sigma 35 1.4 Art. I have had 2 and both failed. Sigma has weak QC in my opinion.

Canon does not have a lot of choice for wide nightscape lenses.
These are some I know work well;

1. Samyang 14mm F2.8 XP model only. Regular 14 F2.8 Samyang are mostly junk with most either no good or failing quickly due to no quality control.

2. Sigma Art series 14 and 28. Also the 40 and 105. QC better but not perfect. Good performers but very very large and heavy and expensive.

3. Voigtlander APO 35mm and up get a great review from a very experienced nightscaper. Mainline photographics sell them.

4.Irix 15mm F2.4 is quite good. QC issues again though.

5. Canon 35mm F1.4 11 is supposed to be excellent but pricey.

6. Canon 24-70 F2.8 is an oldy but goldy.

Sony has way more choices.

For example there is a just released Samyang Astro lens 24mm F1.8 that has features designed for nightscaping.

The Sony 24mm F1.4GM lens is one of the best out there. Pricey.

The Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 is a tad slower but a gorgeous lens with wonderful colours. Its one of my main nightscape lenses for Sony. Too bad its not compatible on a Canon.

Sony is about to release a 14mm F1.8 GM that no doubt will be the best on the market. Sony's standards on lenses in the last several years is simply the best available.

Greg.