View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 12:21 AM
AdamJL

thanks for sharing your stories. They gave me a laugh and looks like some of us have learned some important lessons!

Here's another one from tonight.
We drove to our little dark site, and the skies were BEAUTIFUL. Clear everything. Thinking I could finally get a good night's imaging, we setup the tent, and I setup the scope. It was freezing up there, and with the little ones tucked away, I thought "great, here we go"..

first problem: I noticed my power cable for the camera wasn't working. Something I'd noticed at home previously, and LUCKILY I brought a spare just in case it died. Result! Finally I was prepared for a problem.

This is the power cable... more on this later
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-3a-c...utlet/p/MP3671

Of course I connect everything, power the camera... and oh dear. It connected, but I couldn't cool it. I couldn't even take a test exposure, as the camera didn't want to talk to my PC.

I thought maybe it was the infamous ZWO flat cables finally showing me a hard time, and resolved to test a new cable the next day.

But my gut said it was an issue with the camera after dropping it earlier, and with everyone freezing, we decided to pack up and come home and at least get a decent night's sleep for once.

Halfway home, I remembered something.... and when I eventually got through the door, I tested my theory.
Bingo. It was a simple problem. The above power cable has a voltage switch. On the old one, I'd already switched it to 12V. This replacement was still on 3V.
So all I needed to do was switch voltage!!

At least the problem is solved, but I stuffed up tonight!