View Single Post
Old 15-07-2016, 08:18 PM
luka
Unregistered User

I have spent last two years battling humidity, salt and water in devices (at work)... it is much more difficult problem due to salt...

Anyway, we should try to seal the sensor area as good as we can and then also seal the whole camera. A thin layer of silicone around the joints will ensure no air gaps. If you pick the right silicone it can be removed without much drama when camera needs opening.

Then there are few ways to prolong the operation time. You want to close the box with as little humidity inside as possible and then there is a possibility of a leak.
Silca gel bags (in little cages) will work fine but I like the ones from RS as they screw into the housing and have an outside indicator. In other words you know when the humidity is too high inside and you can take them out for baking without taking apart the housing. I just found them and have not used them yet. May be too bulky though.

If you look at some of the 450D cold finger builds (I just finished mine), there is lots of discussion about this. The other idea is to fill the camera with dry gas, for example with argon (easy to get from Bunnings). This will help a bit as well.

Finally, we could put a humidity sensor inside and measure humidity this way. If it goes too high, time to look for leaks, replace the silca gel, and refill with argon