Thread: QHY Woes
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Paullus (Paul)

QHY Woes

Hi all,

I recently purchased a second hand QHY10 camera which doesn't seem to be functioning correctly. I think I know what the verdict is but I'll pass it to the collective brains trust to get some opinions.

All I get is a series of black/grey/white lines when there should be an image, even if it's an out of focus blur. Sometimes I could get the silhoutte of tree branches but the rest of the image is garbage. Almost looks like it's bleeding in from one side. Haven't used it on any astro targets; only a transmission tower several kilometres away and a street light <1km away.

I've tried the following with no avail:
- various gain/offset/exposure length combinations

- various software (EZCAP-QT, EZCAP, APT, SharpCap)
- stopping down the aperture on the scope (8" newt with small cap removed from the larger tube cap)
- use with/without telescope attached
- LPS filter (to filter UV)
- Ha filter on the street light.

The only time I got a semi reasonable image was using the Ha filter on the streetlight but even with an exposure of 1ms the light filament was still blooming. Seems that it's not exposing correctly, but given this is my first dedicated astro camera (my guiding ZWO ASI120-MC doesn't count), any thoughts before I pull the trigger on a new ZWO 294MC Pro?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture_00001 (Medium).jpg)
142.1 KB136 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210703_095032 (Medium).jpg)
152.9 KB160 views
Click for full-size image (QHY10 (Medium).jpg)
100.9 KB165 views