Thread: Compass
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poider View Post
Quick update I used the stick and the sun, marked out my line and placed my pavers, I only need put my legs in the paver holes and i am near spot on each time, but now my tripod has broken and I am using my camera tripod, a bit shorter but I can still get pretty close, i can find the sigma octans most night in my alignment view finder, but now I am going up to Uluru for a week and need to have a quick way to find the SCP from there. I will let you all know how I go.
From home I can get some decent shots at up to 5 minutes with the camera, no telescope on a good day with the star adventurer.
Thank you all for your help, It has been a while since posting as I don't get out as much as I should, I have bad lungs and cannot go out when it is too cold or when the neighbors are burning bad stuff in their combustion heaters, but I do get out occasionally.
Peter,
The solar noon shadow stick method is bullet proof , the human race has been using the suns shadow for thousands of years for time measurement, constructing monuments and buildings , cultural and spiritual reasons and even Indiana Jones used it in Raiders of the lost Ark ( pardon the joke )
The Compass has its use but not ideal for aligning tripods to true south
Glad it has worked out for you
The more accurate you are with your shadow stick set up and true south line , the more accurate and closer you will be to true south and resultant polar alignment
Cheers
Martin