View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 09:19 PM
keller60 (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
thanks Peter a G11 was something I lusted after 10-15 years ago. I wondered how the mechanics have aged in the modern range of belt drives etc...I guess if worms are precision enough backlash isn't a problem needed belt drive a anyway? For me I am solely AP now and use an Eagle PC for mount control so don't really need or even want the hand controllers or internal software, just something that i can control via NINA or APT via the eagle.
There is nothing "modern" about a belt drive. They simply are a less-expensive solution to otherwise having a precisely machined gear housing.

A precision gear will beat it every time...and not stretch or need replacing for decades.

The G-11 has undergone refinements for decades. The new G-11's have no backlash due spring loaded worm gears,
which BTW are centreless ground with very precise lead angles...something you won't find in a Chinese mount.

Gemini from the get-go conformed to the Meade LX200 instruction set, hence ASCOM and third party software has supported them for many years.

As for having a hand controller...my PMEII (yes, I know it has belts...) can perform magic with a PC and TheSkyX, but I still find I use the hand paddle more often than not. I'd certainly miss it not being available.