View Single Post
Old 23-08-2021, 06:01 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

I have been looking at what is needed for both Ronchi and Foucault tester. The Ronchi eyepiece is the cheapest option and use with a star test. I need the dial indicator (Foucault) or a decent Ronchi screen, both are seen as expensive within my budget. (i have no budget atm tbh, so, its galvanized pipes and elbow bends if I wanted to setup a EQ pier out the back sort of attitude.)

The comment about the diffraction spikes comes from J Texereau again and tied in well with the plans for the F9 8" using a small secondary.

"At any rate the effect in the Newtonian reflector almost disappears if we make the focal ratio 8 or 10 and the diagonal mirror only large enough to accommodate the incident light cone"

Mind you he goes on to quote a secondary of about 1/8th of the primary, so, I need to get my head around the science of that statement. The effects of the obstruction on altering the diffraction figure are still a little beyond me atm. But I like reading...

Thanks again, your comments have been appreciated,
Steve
Newt for the web has my secondary at 31mm with a ID of 9.01inches, J Texereau seems to suggest closer to 25mm for the secondary at this focal length.