View Single Post
Old 22-08-2021, 03:42 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I had hoped to have some Hydrostone by now, but either travel restrictions or price of postage has kept me from getting any!

I have an oversized tool already, (200mm blank and a 220mm tool - both soda glass) I was thinking of making the lap from the tool. I have found using the oversized tool very easy so far on my 8" F9. (nothing to compare it to either though)

The 220mm will present a fairly large overhang... is it too large? Should I consider making a 210/205mm plywood lap? (The wood and sealants are not a problem...)

Thanks
Steve
Ps. Have you tried attaching pitch squares over a full pitch lap with pressed grooves?

I am reading "How to make a Telescope" by J Texereau and he makes the suggestion of fixing squares on, over a fully covered lap and pressing the grooves in. The squares seem to allow easier trimming and for the lap to be easily modified by changing the pattern or reducing/increasing the squares in any particular zone.

But certainly not in favour anymore as you never seen a webpage using anything but a fully pitched lap. It seems like a good idea, but I'd like to know why it fell out of use with ATM'ers.

I see Mel creates a full pitch lap and then a secondary pitch lap using the "Pitch lap Calculator". I would prefer 1 lap as I have limited rosin to work with and it would be nice to use the modifiable pitch lap squares idea.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 22-08-2021 at 04:20 PM.