View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Taylor

I concur with Hugh's and Bret's advice - as it was the same advice given to me by a friend when I started out three years ago - and that was to start off with the HEQ5-Pro mount. If you want to get into AP down the track this is a good starting point mountwise. As Hugh pointed out you could then go for an ED80 refractor when you've saved up a bit more. I have the ED120 and HEQ5-Pro and have been very happy with this set up for the past three years. I'm still learning how to get the best out of my mount, scope, camera and software - but the mount and scope haven't let me down. I've only dealt with Andrews Communications in Sydney (ED120 & HEQ5-Pro) and Bintel here in Melbourne (Orion ST80 Guidescope package) and was very happy with the level of service and advice from both stores.

HTH - and welcome to the throng!

Paul

PS:
You don't need a manual mount to learn your way around the sky. There are plenty of Apps and/or software that you can use on their own, or in conjunction with some star charts to help you do that. If the technology is there to help your journey into AP be relatively 'easy' then I say use it. Plus the folks here, in my experience, are generous with their time and advice. Going to a Star Party or Astro weekend is also very worthwhile. The Snake Valley weekend in March was a great experience - and I'm planning to go again in November.

Last edited by pfitzgerald; 07-07-2015 at 10:08 AM.