View Single Post
Old 17-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Heads up! Some interesting Jovian moon interactions coming up

Hi all, I've always been interested in the planets and their moons, and I recently came across an interesting fact about 2021 in that the tilt of Jupiter relative to the Earth now allows for occultations of some of the Jovian moons as viewed from Earth. The most spectacular of these will occur on the night of August 15th (Australia time) when Europa will pass behind Ganymede while both are transiting the Jovian disc. I don't know if this has ever been recorded on Earth before, but it's an opportunity not to be missed for imaging.

After looking at this event, I had a look at some others using the Ephemeris tool in WinJupos, and found some other "interesting" moon transits. I have only included the ones for my location in Melbourne Australia, but others in Australia should have a similar view. Hopefully we will be able to capture some of these events, for those of you in other parts of the world I would encourage you to do what I did in WinJupos for your location.

Here is a presentation I put together for my local astro club, hope you find it interesting.
https://docs.google.com/presentation...&delayms=30000

Andrew