View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Hi Terry,
There are many programs that amateurs can become involved with as well as Pro / Am collaborations.
I put in two years with Swinburne University doing a Grad Cert Sc in Astronomy that opened my eyes to some areas of astronomy that I had never previously considered. I have found that as I have advanced and become better known that it has opened doors for me to become involved in various international projects.
Amateurs can even become involved in such things as Meteor Shower Counts for the IMO (International Meteor Organization) without the need for any optical equipment at all. Also, there are several Variable Stars that can be observed with binoculars and the AAVSO would be very happy to receive such obs.

Name: Trevor Barry.
Type of Program: Variable Star Observing.
Number of observations: Just under 1,000 although since my involvement with Saturn I have not contributed variable star data.
Observations submitted to: AAVSO
How many years interested in astronomy: Approx 24
Achievements:
Scope Used: 16” F4.5 Meade Starfinder. Designed & built my own 27 point Primary mirror cell, secondary mirror mount, Peltier cooler for Primary mirror. Numerous other mods to scope.
Mount Used: Designed and built my own very heavy duty GEM, fitted with Anssen Technologies dual axis drive & drive corrector.
Camera (if applicable) used:

Type of Program: SED’s (Saturn Electrostatic Discharge) Search for new SED’s and monitoring them when discovered
Number of observations: Got involved in 2008. About 200 images per year.
Observations submitted to Cassini RPWS (Radio & Plasma Wave Science) team, University of Iowa and Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Achievements: Official recognition from NASA in media release for support of the Cassini mission.
Camera (if applicable) used: Initially ToUcam Pro II 840K then DMK 21AU04.AS

Type of Program: Study of atmospheric features on Jupiter.
Number of observations: 2245 records of measurement on JUPOS.
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): 112 images on PVOL (Planetary Virtual Observatory & Laboratory), B.A.A. (British Astronomical Association) Jupiter Section, ALPO Jupiter Section, JUPOS.

Type of Program: EPOXI Mission, search for extra solar planets using the Deep Impact space craft. Involved supplying Mars data plus data on Regulus captured with the exact same settings with no sharpening applied at all. This data was used for photometric measurement to compare with similar data of Mars obtained with the Deep Impact space craft.
Number of observations: All data was IR and I contributed 54 images to this project.
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): Goddard Space Flight Centre.

Type of Program: Mars observations.
Number of observations: 2008/2009, 110 images.
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): B.A.A. (British Astronomical Association) Mars Section, ALPO Mars Section.

My most memorable astro moment.
Type of Program: Kuiper Belt Search for new KBO’s
Number of observations per year: Well, had two nights on Keck II and one night on Keck I
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): They weren’t my observations, although I was present as the data streamed in and got to blink a comparison image with the one just taken by Keck I
Achievements: There were two objects that clearly moved relative to the stars in the comparison image. These would have been credited to Prof Mike Brown of Caltech
Scope Used: Keck I
Mount Used:
Camera (if applicable) used:

Last edited by Quark; 02-01-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammer