View Single Post
Old 12-02-2024, 12:08 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Interesting project overall!

What is the quality of the 3D printed gears in this project?
Not so much as in what is the quality and reliability of your work but in printed gears overall?
If I ever get to welding up the frame I have a milling machine here and a new cross slide table for it and I'd likely be more inclined to machine alloy gears but 3D printed would be so much easier (were I to get a 3D printer that is). I have a few telescopes I want to do electronic focusers for.

You make mention of an encoder, what type have you used for this project?
I recently purchased 6 very nice quality units from AliExpress quite cheap (compared to RS components) for another project my son is playing with and I'd like to incorporate one with a focus motor for repeatability. I know there's the 2 types, mine would be the cheaper type, incremental. I'd like some Absolute encoders to play with, I should check AliExpress come to think of it.
Though a remote focus unit I purchased used on here has the incremental encoder and it works OK except when I'm trying to use my phone to control the thing.
The only mobile phone screen I could actually consider useful would have to be 55" minimum, my eyes are far from good. Then it wouldn't be quite so mobile I guess.